First blog post
This is the first blog post to see how the new blog will look.
The blog posts will be written in Markdown and published with Pelican.
- Settle on a theme
- Settle on a site structure
- Setup CI/CD and decide which host to use(leaning towards Gitlab or Netlify at this point)
- Setup DNS via terraform for the site
- Start publishing
- Check up on my netlify account
Notes on pushing to Github pages
To publish to Github pages via Travis CI, ideally the following things are required:
- a working CI config file, the .travis.yml in this repo can be used as a base
- set $GITHUB_TOKEN found in this repo's on https://github.com/settings/tokens/new, select Scope repo/public_repo. Selecting this scope should be enough
- having gh-pages branch in the repo, so travis-bot can force push the created static files to this branch. this can achieved by: git branch gh-pages git push github gh-pages
- on https://github.com/user/project/settings, set Github Pages source to gh-pages branch which then sets the gh-pages branch as the source of Github Pages. This is the same branch where Travis pushes to. So Travis reads from master, then pushes the output of pelican to gh-pages, then Github publishes from gh-pages branch
Notes on publishing to Gitlab pages
- a working CI config file, the .gitlab-ci.yml in this repo can be used as a base
See https://gitlab.com/pages/pelican for a pelican example, which this site is based on.
My own links for publishing:
Canonical URL of my blog, as of 2019-12-05:
Used to be blog.domain instead of www, but changed that later on.